Wednesday 11 July 2012

Things I like about Montreal: Architecture


This is a picture of McGill University's Medical School (or part of it at least). Something I liked instantly about Montreal is its architecture. Cities often have beautiful old architecture (like my beloved Edinburgh) or flashy new skyscrapers (recent visit to the architecturally magnificent Chicago). Montreal is special because old and new sit together so charmingly.

Anyone who knows about my academic interests will know that I'm a fan of postmodern theory. Now, I don't want to go on about it too much (geeky), but a key element of the postmodern is when disparate styles, which should not work together, some how come together as something which has a meaning that shifts, isn't quite whole or sensible, and is yet profound. Now that's kind of a pretentious way to say that Montreal has a crazy mix of architectural styles but it really works. 

I'm sure as I grow more familiar with my temporary home, I'll find more treasures. But for now, here's just a couple I saw today on my walk home from work.


Shiney shiney deco shopping centre. I love the pointy arches and the corner cut-outs further up. (Wish my best friend and soon-to-be architect was here to tell me the proper names - what-up JPB?)



The red Hogwarts-esque building on the corner is owned by Sothebys. This is on the same block as the not so picturesque 60s/70s tower block that I work in. Anyone else think that plant thing looks like it came straight out of The Sims? Definite money cheat purchase, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment